Selling a home can be frustrating in the winter market. While there are advantages to having a home on the market through the winter, there could also be disadvantages. What works best for you as a seller, is a very personal decision. Let your real estate agent help you sort out whether to keep your home on the market through the winter.
Here are a few advantages to keeping your home on the market:
- There are less homes on the market making inventory low. You have a better chance of being noticed when there is less inventory.
- Buyers looking in the winter months are serious buyers. You have a better chance of selling when the buyers are looking through the snowy season.
- Prices can be a bit higher because of low inventory bring in a sales price closer to your list price.
The disadvantages can be downplayed by keeping a good attitude about your move.
- Moving in the winter is not fun – but with a little research you can find a good moving company and save yourself a lot of work. Companies are looking for work in the winter and offer deals to you.
- Keeping the way clear of snow. Yes, this is especially important for the winter snowbirds. Hire a company to keep your drive clear of snow. This makes it easier to get in for showings and gives the buyer the message that you care about your home.
- Buyers are looking for deals, deals, deals. They sometimes want to offer lower prices thinking that you are desperate to sell. This is not always the case, so be strong during negotiation if you have a good product.